Churchfield BWMAT | SEN
page-template-default,page,page-id-10342,page-child,parent-pageid-10576,edgt-core-1.0.1,,hudson-ver-1.8, vertical_menu_with_scroll,grid_1200,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.0.1,vc_responsive

How do you know if a child needs extra help?

All children at Churchfield are monitored closely by their Class Teachers. This is done through on- going assessment and regular Pupil Progress Meetings to discuss individual needs and progress. We have developed a graduated response to identifying children with needs. Initially this is completed by the class teacher to ensure needs are being met within the class. If the Class Teacher feels the child still isn’t making the required progress, they will be discussed with the Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo). Assessments may be carried out and if necessary a referral to external agencies with the consent of the Parents/Carer. If Parents/Carers have any concerns they should see the Class Teacher in the first instance. Teachers are available at a mutually agreed time and an appointment can be made if a more detailed discussion is needed.

How will the school support my child?

The Class Teacher is responsible for your child’s education. They will oversee, plan and work with each child with additional needs in the class to ensure that progress in every area is made. Our SENCo oversees all provision and progress of any child supported for their additional needs across the school. There may be a Teaching Assistant (TA) working with your child either individually or as part of a group. If this is above the normal support given in the class these sessions will be explained to the Parents/Carers when the support starts or during Parents’ evenings.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access according to their specific needs. Typically this might mean that in a lesson there would be three different levels of work set for the class, however on occasions this can be individually differentiated. Groupings of children can change regularly according to needs and understanding.

How will I know how my child is doing?

Our children with additional needs will have an IEP which is an individualised plan with outcomes that are agreed with parents, teachers and TA’s. There are parents’ evenings in the Autumn and Spring terms and reports are written in the Summer term. In addition to this, children with complex needs or in receipt of an Education, Health and Care Plan will have an Annual Review meeting to inform and plan for next steps.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

In addition to support received for academic subjects, there is a range of pastoral support available. We have a dedicated pastoral support worker Sue Marshall who runs sessions to help children express their feelings and manage their emotions. We have weekly Forest school, Learn to Move and Sensory room sessions. We also have a Parent and Family Support Advisor (PFSA) who can work with children and families. Specific support plans will be put into place for children experiencing difficulties with behaviour and those needing medical support or intimate care.

What are the specialist services that the School can access?

When a child has a specific need, we access county services such as Educational Psychology, Learning Support Services and Social, emotional and behavioural advisors (listed on the back page). We also access advice for physical impairments and medical conditions, including hearing, school nursing team and vision support. We can access Speech and Language therapists, Physiotherapists and Occupational therapists via the NHS when needed.

How accessible is the School environment?

The school site is fully wheelchair accessible. There are disabled toilet facilities and a therapy suite, with hoist. All children have the right to access class trips whenever it is safe for them to do so. For those children with additional needs, alternative provision can be made, for example, additional adult support, alternative travel arrangements, or alternative arrangements for the administration of medicines.

How will the School support my child’s transitions to a new setting?

Prior to starting in Reception, children identified as having SEN will have a School Entry Planning meeting. This will be attended by parents, pre- school staff, school staff and any external professionals involved in supporting your child. It plans out how all concerned can make the transition to school as smooth as possible. For children with medical needs, this will include identifying staff training to ensure your child’s needs are fully met. All families will be invited to a new parents meeting to gather information. The Reception teachers and at times the SENCo will also visit pre-schools to meet the children in a familiar setting.

All children will be invited to attend stay and play, story time and a transition morning to ensure they are familiar with the staff and the setting in advance.

On moving to Secondary School, children in Year 6 with additional needs are discussed with the SENCo at the Secondary School once places have been allocated. Additional visits can be organised with the Secondary School when necessary. If your child has complex needs an Annual Review meeting will happen in the Autumn term and a representative from the secondary school will be invited to attend.

What training is provided for support staff who work with children with SEN?

All TAs who work with individuals or groups of children on interventions will have received training to deliver the sessions. These sessions are overseen by the Class Teacher, intervention lead and SENCo to monitor the progress of the children. Where additional specific training is required to address a child’s individual needs, the School brings in external trainers to deliver this or staff attend courses. On-going training and updates are delivered by the School SENCo through regular meetings.

How are the School’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

We ensure that all children with additional needs are catered for and needs are met to the best of the School’s ability with the funds available. We have a team of TAs who are largely funded from the SEN budget and deliver programmes to meet groups and individual needs. The budget is allocated on a needs basis. The children who have the most complex needs are given the most support often involving a TA.

Who do I see if I am worried?

Speak to your child’s teacher.

If you are still concerned you can make an appointment to meet the SENCo

If you feel matters are still not resolved, you can make an appointment with the Head teacher to discuss your concerns.

Who might work with my child?

A range of outside professionals might be called in to support the School in providing the best opportunities for every child. These include:

  • Speech and Language Therapists
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Learning and Behavioural advisory teachers
  • Physical Support
  • Impairment
  • and
  • Medical
  • Hearing/Vision Impairment team
  • Occupational Therapists/Physiotherapists
  • Autism and Communication Advisors
  • Play therapist
  • Outreach support from Penrose

Further Support

You can also access support from Somerset special educational needs and disability information, advice and support (SENDIAS) at; or 01823355578

For more information

Contact the School Office on: 01278 782743 or Becky Skews(SENCO) at

Key documents to support children with SEN